Picture of Rodney Promentilla
Learning about Hydroponics - SNAP Hydroponic System
by Rodney Promentilla - Sunday, 24 May 2020, 10:08 AM

I notice that some members would like to know more about SNAP. In my internet readings on hydroponics, I have come across some articles which I think will be of interest to some members which is why I'm starting this topic ... SNAP (it's a registered trademark) hydroponic is basically a "passive growing" way of hydroponic whereby enough hydroponic solution is place inside a container (like a growing bed) using a DWC (deep water culture) method in which the vegetable can grow to maturity and then harvested. This method of hydroponics is the most basic and the simplest because no electricity is needed for the system (e.g. air pump to aerate the solution, mix it, or move it to a higher elevation). If you want to read more about this "passive" method in the internet you can just search for the "bucket method" of hydroponic or "dutch bucket" or "kratky method" (Dr Kratky from the University of Hawaii was the one who popularize this passive method). What makes it different from the others you read in the internet? It's the hydroponic solution which was research and developed by pinoy scientists at UPLB (UP is also my alma matter) for pinoys (always support "gawang pinoy" if it suits your needs). The most likely process was a refinement of the known hydroponic solution (like Hoagland, Hewitt, Cooper, or Steiner) to suit the PH environment for growing the vegetables that pinoys like to eat. A quick check in the internet and the cost of the SNAP solution (A+B) is around P300-350. I tried searching for it here in Tampakan a few years back and none of the Agri stores here sells it. In addition , SNAP's emphasis on using common recyclelable materials (e.g. used styrofoam cups, used styrofoam grape boxes) for its recommended hydroponic system results to a much lower cost and makes it very affordable to the masses. You can find a lot of materials on this from the internet and with a little imagination and ingenuity you can use some of the materials that are already available in your area. I have attached in this post some of the SNAP materials that I have collected from the internet before, in case you may want to learn more about it. Once I located my old notes in my computer smile, I'll post a simple way for you to test the effectiveness of the SNAP solution. From your own experience of using it, you can then decide whether it suits your needs before you even start collecting or buying the materials that you need for your own home hydroponic system. Cheers ... Rodney
Picture of Rodney Promentilla
Re: Learning about Hydroponics - SNAP Hydroponic System
by Rodney Promentilla - Sunday, 24 May 2020, 10:18 AM

It seems that the pdf files are quite too large and I cannot upload it together with my post. You can just use google to search the keyword "SNAP hydroponics pdf" and download the materials to your computer or mobile. The materials are below: Slide presentation => SNAP Hydroponics for AgriLink 2009 pages=71 Brochure => SNAP for Hydroponics pages=2 Document => SNAP Material Safety DataSheet pages=2 User Guide => Make Your Own SNAP Hydroponics pages=2 Cheers ... Rodney
Online: 0 Messages: 0
You are not logged in. (Login)