Picture of Rommel Hallares
Tilapia harvest field day for techno-demo project in Isabela held
by Rommel Hallares - Monday, 5 September 2022, 01:48 PM

Manila Bulletin: September 3, 2022, 3:42 PM

GAMU, Isabela – The Department of Agriculture (DA)-Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR)-Region 2 and the local government led the harvest field day of the techno-demo project on the semi-intensive tilapia culture in pond technology-cum-livelihood project established in Barangay Barcolan here as technology demonstration site.
The Provincial Fishery Office helped a cooperator, Eric Malana, improve his skills in tilapia culture.

A pond area of 600-square meters was utilized as techno-demo and stocked with 3,000 tilapia.

BFAR provided all inputs such as fingerlings, feeds, fertilizers, and technical assistance.
The cooperator said that he is grateful to the BFAR for choosing him and guided him in the culture of tilapia in ponds.

“Before my formal training with the agency, I used to stock almost 5,000 fingerlings in our 600-square meter pond. I noticed that the stocks have stunted growth and that it only yielded 300 kilograms. But, when I learned about the technology taught by BFAR technicians, my harvest improved,” he said.

Malana encouraged his fellow fish farmers to follow the technology being promoted by the BFAR.
“And as long as you are willing to learn, there is always a positive result,” he noted.

Seventy kilos of tilapia were partially harvested. Expected harvest is 400 kilograms and if sold at P120 per kilo minus the operating expenses, the expected return of investment is 35 percent.

Proceeds will be used as startup capital of the cooperator for the next culture cycle.

Online: 0 Messages: 0
You are not logged in. (Login)