Picture of Julie Peralta
Seaweed farming....
by Julie Peralta - Wednesday, 20 November 2013, 09:08 AM

Home is Baguio City but 2 years ago, I purchased a beach lot property in Ilocos Sur about 20 minutes away from my parents house. I thought of putting up a small nipa nut when it 's time for me to retire as a get away place on the weekends. But now that I finished the online course on seaweed farming...I realized that whole stretch of the village coastline is ideal for seaweed farming! Made me wonder why the local government hasn't thought of introducing the technology to the village folks who rely mainly on fishing as their livelihood. With the knowledge I learned thru this course and having researched further online, as I think more of it, someday when the time comes for me to go home....I would like to set up a seaweed farm fronting my property....where people in the village or the sorrounding area can learn or see for themselves and as a possible source of starter seedlings. Is there any government support, be it a grant, training or technology for the villagers who are interested? If not, I could start practicing what I learned in Writing grant proposals to possible private donors! Who knows! Any advice on this regard would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
not alone
Re: Seaweed farming....
by Emerson DeƱado - Wednesday, 28 February 2018, 02:03 PM

Hi Ms. Julie,

When it comes to Fisheries Training and after training support programs, the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (DA-BFAR) is the right agency that you can ask for. They are strategically located in the archipelago. You may contact https://www.bfar.da.gov.ph for more info. Thank you
Online: 0 Messages: 0
You are not logged in. (Login)