Picture of Joeven C. Calasagsag
Farmers should plant drought-tolerant rice varieties–PhilRice
by Joeven C. Calasagsag - Thursday, 3 September 2015, 02:25 PM

businessmirror.com.ph; September 2, 2015

The Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice) called on farmers to plant drought-tolerant varieties and use El Niño-ready technologies in paddy-rice production to mitigate the ill effects of the weather phenomenon.

PhilRice made the statement after the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) reported that the ongoing El Niño would likely strengthen in the latter part of the year and linger until early 2016.

For lowland irrigated areas, PhilRice encouraged farmers to plant early-maturing varieties, such as PSB Rc10 (Pagsanjan), NSIC Rc130 (Tubigan 3) and NSIC Rc152 (Tubigan 10).

PhilRice said Pagsanjan matures in 106 days with a maximum yield of 7.5 tons per hectare. Tubigan 3 matures in 108 days with a maximum yield of 7.6 tons per hectare, while Tubigan 10 matures in 109 days with a maximum yield of 8.7 tons per hectare.

“Farmers may also plant NSIC Rc134 [Tubigan 4], an early-maturing variety—107 days—with a maximum yield of 9.8 tons per hectare and NSIC Rc160 [Tubigan 14] also an early-maturing variety—107 days—with a maximum yield of 8.2 tons per hectare,” PhilRice said in a statement.

Farmers in rainfed lowland areas may choose among NSIC Rc192 (Sahod Ulan 1), PSB Rc14 (Rio Grande) and PSB Rc68 (Sacobia) varieties.

Sahod Ulan 1 matures in 106 days, with a maximum yield of 5.5 tons per hectare. Rio Grande matures in 110 days, with a maximum yield of 6.1 tons per hectare; and Sacobia matures in 116 days with a maximum yield of 4.4 tons per hectare.

The agency attached to the Department of Agriculture (DA) said these varieties are known for their drought-tolerant properties preferable in areas where El Niño is expected to hit worst. 

Meanwhile, drought-tolerant varieties for the upland areas include the PSB Rc80 (Pasig), PSB Rc9 (Apo), and NSIC Rc23 (Katihan 1).

Pasig can yield up to 8.7 tons per hectare and matures in 112 days. Apo matures in 119 days, with a maximum yield of 5.6 tons per hectare, while Katihan 1 matures in 108 days, with a maximum yield of 7.6 tons per hectare.

PhilRice urged farmers to use water-saving technologies, such as controlled irrigation or alternate wetting and drying, aerobic rice, drip irrigation and reduced tillage technology.

The agency said it continues to roll out information materials on El Niño, which are all available on its web site. (Posted by Mary Grace Padin)

Picture of fe malugao
Re: Farmers should plant drought-tolerant rice varieties–PhilRice
by fe malugao - Friday, 4 September 2015, 04:57 PM

Thanks for this information.

Good day to you sir Joeven!

I think, you had any ideas on the availability of the seeds. NSIC Rc134 [Tubigan 4], can you give us more information of the smell of the variety, if it like a smell that we would likely to eat.  or it smell as a natural rice. Another is that, can you send us more information, of whom we can purchase the pioneer, certified and registered of this variety. and the price per sack/kilo.

I hope there is available seed near in my location.
this is my address. 7117- Antonino, Labason, Zamboanga del norte... the nearest city is Dipolog.

My name is FE MALUGAO, fe_milay@yahoo.com

I am interested to learn, and for a response about this matter.

Well then, thanks to you and Phil rice.  Thanks that e-learning was created, this was amazing.  I love to learn.  Hopefully that this program, be empowered more.

Good luck, and GOD bless..
More powers!

Truly yours, FE
Picture of Joeven C. Calasagsag
Re: Farmers should plant drought-tolerant rice varieties–PhilRice
by Joeven C. Calasagsag - Monday, 7 September 2015, 03:12 PM

Hi Ms. Fe, 

I asked PhilRice regarding your concern unfortunately NSIC Rc 134 is rarely grown nowadays according to them. To answer your question regarding eating qualify, it is "soft". Anyways, they are still checking with their Stations if there available NSIC Rc 134 seeds for sale. With this, you can order directly to Business Development Division of PhilRice at (044) 456-5387 or email Sir RJ Cruz at rb.cruz@philrice.gov.ph. 

By the way, thank you so much for your kind words about the eLearning program. 

Should you have further concerns pls. don't hesitate to contact us again. :)
Online: 0 Messages: 0
You are not logged in. (Login)